Northeast KY AHEC Preceptor Policy
The Northeast KY AHEC Student Services division will call/email/fax request of student placement within the preceptor’s facility.
- Will include student’s name, type of student, and dates of rotation.
Upon approval from the preceptor, the Student Services division will contact the student with the site’s address and contact information.
The student should contact the preceptor at least one week prior to his/her first day to get information on what time to arrive, dress code, where to arrive, and who to meet upon arrival.
Preparation Before the Student Arrives
Prepare the office staff (both clerical & clinical)
Information about the student:
- Name, type of student, and dates of rotation
- Determine who will be designated to orient the student to the office
- Determine who can answer questions when the preceptor is busy
- Determine who will show the student office systems (schedule, who does what, etc.)
- Discuss how patients will be informed about the student
Prepare the educational experience
- Plan educational activities for the student that will broaden the educational experience and enhance learning
- Provide opportunities for students to interact with other health professionals
- Expose student to the community
- Civic organization meetings
- Health fairs
- Chamber of Commerce
- Determine what the preceptor’s expectations will be
- Maintain communication with the Northeast KY AHEC student services coordinator to discuss the preceptor’s expectations for the student.
First Day of Student Clinical Rotation
Introduce student to the practice
- Site-specific orientation
- Introductions with clinical and office staff
Schedule an initial meeting with the student to include:
Discussion of the work schedule
- Let them know what to expect regarding work hours
Describe the preceptor’s expectations of the student for the preceptor’s site
- This may include what patients the student can or cannot see
- Procedures or issues related to the physical facility
- Dress Code
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) access – schedule a training time with the student to be familiar with the EMR and what the student can and cannot do in the EMR.
- DO NOT SHARE YOUR PASSCODES with the student. This is considered a HIPAA violation.
- DO NOT have the student see patients when you are out of the office and document them as if you had seen them.
Establish a schedule to review progress and provide feedback
End of the Student Clinical Rotation
- Complete the student evaluation
- Provide feedback to the student of what they can improve on
- Go over the student evaluation with the student